Monday, September 14, 2009

Going in

Around the Vaskerelven street in Bergen, a lot of taprooms and bars have been established. Some of them are great, while others are so-so. If you like rock and burgers, Inside is not to be missed. Inside calls itself a Rock Cafe. Besides being a bar that also specializes in hamburgers, Inside also offers rock concerts at its own little concert hall, Hinsides.

The cook at Inside has high self esteem.

I have not tasted the food at Inside so far, but many friends tell me that their hamburgers are really good. They also have a special challenge for hungry people. The hamburger called "Suicide Solution" consists of a 1 kilogram patty in a hamburger bun, salad and 200 grams of french fries. If you can eat all this in an hour, you get the dish for free and your name on the pub's wall. If not, you must pay 399 NOK for this hamburger feast. That is nearly 40 GBP or slightly more than 45 EUR.

A well drafted Guinness at Inside.

Inside Rock Cafe has two beers from tap. You can enjoy draughted Ringnes pale lager or Guinness stout. When I visit Inside I always choose the stout, as I am very fond of that beer style. Otherwise I check out which bottled beers they have. Usually you can find Hansa lager, Monty Python's Holy Grail ale, Old Speckled Hen, Carlsberg lager, Kilkenny and Corona. Some are available in cans, and others in bottles.

Old Speckled Hen is a nice ale, but I prefer it from tap.

I like sitting at Inside for a beer or two. The atmosphere is great, and it is nice visiting a bar where there is no MTV or techno. At Inside rock and heavy metal is king, and I am very comfortable with that. But I would like a more interesting choice in draughted beers. How about some Nøgne Ø or a great golden lager from the Czech Republic, Inside?

No comments:

Post a Comment