Monday, July 4, 2011

Oslo's newest brewpub

Back in Oslo, I needed to check out Amundsen Bryggeri & Spiseri. This is a combined restaurant and brewpub in the city centre. It opened earlier this year, and right now it is the newest brewpub in the Norwegian capital.

LinkIn addition to the beers brewed by Amundsen, the beer selection is large both in bottles and from tap. That was really a problem for me, as Amundsen Bryggeri & Spiseri offered more than 20 draught beers from various breweries. I had a time limit and thought it over. There were many interesting brews, but I decided to check out one brewed by Amundsen.

That day Amundsen had three of their own brews for sale: A pilsner, a pale ale and påskebokk (Easter Bock). I chose the pale ale.

In the glass Amundsen pale ale was a cloudy beer with an amber colour. It had a medium sized head and nearly no carbonation. In the nose I felt some grapefruit, while the grapefruit was present in the mouth with a touch of apples before a partly bitter finish. This was a great beer, and I enjoyed it very much.

It was a shame that I had to move on from Amundsen after a short visit. It was a large, inviting beer hall with many guests and a tempting beer selection. Oslo now has many interesting places for beer tourists, and Amundsen is one of them. I must be back on my next visit to Oslo and spend some more time at this brewpub.

.

2 comments:

  1. The prices are kinda steep tho.. Even by Oslo's standards..Though one might be willing to overlook that, considering the beer list is quite decent. Among the highlights are 3 house IPA's by Nøgne Ø and a beer cellar containing several years of vintage Thomas Hardy's Ale..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, my bad.. The house-IPA series is over at Grünerløkka Brygghus. Sorry 'bout that.

    ReplyDelete