Thursday, December 22, 2011

Best beer in Norway?

Norway's best beer has been announced. After qualifying rounds and blind tastings by a jury during the finals, Borg Bokkøl has been awarded the prize. You can read more about the announcement in this Norwegian newspaper article, but my piece of advice is that you read it using Google Translate.

Borg Bokkøl is a Norwegian Bockbier, and it beat for instance Nøgne Ø IPA, Frydenlund Bayer, Ægir IPA, Nøgne Ø Imperial Stout and Haandbryggeriet Dark Force to be awarded the title. Myself, I was quite surprised of the award winner, as I had never tasted that beer.

But that has changed. Borg Bokkøl has been evaluated and tasted by me, and here are my thoughts: This is a black beer with nearly no carbonation nor head. In the nose there is some sweetness, black coffee and a touch of prunes. I feel raisins and coffee with a pinch of chocolate in the mouth. The finish is partly bitter with some dark chocolate. I really enjoyed this beer, but it is hardly the best in Norway. Without a doubt both Ægir and Kinn have better beers in their line-up, and the same goes for Haandbryggeriet and Nøgne Ø. I would even prefer Frydenlund Bayer to Borg Bokkøl. Still, it is a fine beer, and visitors to Norway could do worse than trying out this year's award winner.

1 comment:

  1. You should also try lervig Lucky Jack 4,7% . This is going to be a really hit.

    ReplyDelete