Thursday, December 1, 2011

Christmas in Trondheim

There are several fine places to drink beer in Trondheim. For a beer ticker, the city's only brewpub is a must. Trondhjem Mikrobryggeri can be found at Prinsens gate street in the city centre.

Trondhjem Mikrobryggeri brews various beer styles. I have visited the pub several times, and I must confess that most beers are average. This time I was eager to try out the seasonal Christmas beer, Juleøl.

At 8% alcohol Trondhjem Mikrobryggeri's Juleøl is a strong beer. It was a cloudy copper coloured beer with nearly no carbonation nor head. In the nose I felt toffee, while the Juleøl tasted of caramel and licorace before a finish with some cold coffee. This was an enjoyable beer, and it is one of the best I have tasted at this brewpub. It is also one of the better Norwegian Christmas beers I have had so far this season.

At my other visits I have liked the brewpub's IPA the most. This time I was a little bit disappointed. The cloudy beer had a small head and as good as no carbonation. I felt some grapefruit and toffee in the nose. In the mouth I felt some grapefruit and caramel before a watery finish with a touch of hoppy bitterness. It is a fine IPA, but I expected a beer with more taste and a less watery feeling.

I know I will be back at Trondhjem Mikrobryggeri. I like the relaxed atmosphere in the afternoon, and there are several fine snacks on the menu. The brewpub has a good concept, and it would be interesting to see more places like this in other Norwegian towns.

No comments:

Post a Comment