Saturday, January 28, 2012

A taste of Berlin

After a pleasant flight I was finally in Berlin. I had landed on the Schönefeld airport, and I felt a bit hungry as I left the main entrance. Next to the terminal I found a special building: An old train car had been redecorated into a hot dog stand. The place was called Die Ess-Bahn. This was a clever word play on the German verb for eating and the S-Bahn trains. I went inside and ordered a Currywurst and a lager beer to drink. Unfortunately there were no draught beers available, but a half litre of Berliner Kindl Jubiläums Pilsener felt appropriate.

The Currywurst is a standard dish in Germany. Everywhere in Germany you will find it on fast food menus. It is a take on sausage drowned in ketchup and a liberal dose of curry. I like to have a Currywurst now and then while in Germany, but the fatty sausage may not be to everybody's liking.

I had to drink the Berliner Kindl beer from a plastic cup. Unfortunately, no ordinary glass was available at Die Ess-Bahn. The Jubiläums Pilsener was a pale lager beer with a small head and barely any carbonation. I felt malts and sweetness in the nose. The beer felt balanced with some sweetness and a touch of hops before a finish with grains. I liked it. This was a nice pale lager.

I finished my beer and Currywurst and spent some time reading the complimentary Berliner Morgenpost on my table. Then it was time to find the Berlin-Schönefeld railway station just a short walk away. More than one bierstube in the city centre was waiting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment