Saturday, January 28, 2012

Swiss intermezzo

I can only blame myself. As a result of my hunt for cheap plane tickets, I suddenly had to have a quick stopover at Zurich airport. If my flight to Switzerland was on time, I only had 45 minutes to catch my next flight. Of course, my flight to Zurich was late, so with less than half an hour on Swiss soil, I more or less ran through the airport.

I had a plan. I wanted to grab a beer on my way to the gate. But which beer was of interest? (In the meantime I ask you readers, of course in a rhetorically way: Which is your favourite Swiss beer?) As I approached my gate, there was a little kiosk offering snacks and beverages. Among the drinks I found several Ittinger beer bottles. Sure, Ittinger Klosterbräu was to be my favourite (and only) Swiss beer experience this time around.

I drank it straight from the bottle as I waited to enter the airplane. According to the label, Ittinger is a monastery brewery. The beer had a malty nose. I felt sweetness and malts in the mouth before a partly bitter finish. This was an average pale lager that would be quite inoffensive in warm weather. I would not turn down a cold Ittinger in Summer!

I entered my flight and was offered a bottle of the German Warsteiner beer. Actually, I would have preferred a bottle of Ittinger instead!

My visit to Zurich airport was unfortunately a stressful one. Perhaps I will be back one day?

No comments:

Post a Comment