Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A taste of Munich


Hofbräuhaus is one of Munich's tourist attractions. The beer hall in the city centre has existed for more than 400 years. Hofbräuhaus is also a brewery, which name is often shortened into HB. HB is also one of the dominant breweries at Oktoberfest.

At Munich airport this local beer is possible to get hold of. I found two HB beers at Dallmayr in terminal 2. I started with the wheat beer, HB Münchner Weisse.


HB Münchner Weisse was a cloudy beer with nearly no carbonation but with a medium sized head.In the nose I felt some banana, and the banana was assertive in the mouth with some touches of herbs and spices. The beer felt average and I found it a bit boring.

There was also time for a taste of one of HB's pale lager (or helles as the cute waittress told me). The one available was HB Hofbräu Original. This beer had some carbonation and a small head. There were nearly no aromas from the beer except for hints of malts. The beer tasted grains, apples and some hops. I felt it was a very balanced and tasty lager and enjoyed it a lot.


No comments:

Post a Comment